- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, using an electric mixer set on medium speed. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the applesauce.
- Pour the batter into a 9×13 inch baking pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a wire rack.